4 Steps to Career Success
The new career transition workbook
Buy this eBook or start a free 30-day trial
Bookboon Premium subscription gives access to 800+ educational ebooks
A 5 minute internet search or a visit to a reputable bookshop will provide an overwhelming number of self-development and career change books and resources. The great majority of them are excellent in themselves but there is now little that is new.
I decided to write this book when I realised that, when helping clients, they needed to go to a range of different sources to cover what I regard as the fundamental success factors in job search or change.
I have set out to bring together these fundamentals in a four step process that puts you rather than the process at the heart of the matter.
- What really matters to you.
- What you ideally want to do.
- What works best for you in finding that ideal.
- How to look after yourself during a challenging journey.
In difficult economic times we too often have to settle for job opportunities that are not ideal. I cannot promise to always avoid that but I passionately believe we should start the search with the aim to do much better than “be able to pay the mortgage“. Only by setting our sights higher can we hope to achieve success.
This book is written primarily to help those seeking employment job change although if you are contemplating setting up your own business and becoming self-employed the fundamentals are the same although some of the detail may need to be adapted.
By concentrating on what you need and providing a practical workbook approach I hope I have made a contribution to your success.
About the Author
About Work’s A Dream
- Your journey comprises 4 Steps
- Step 1 Delving
- What are personal values?
- Why think about your personal values?
- Defining your personal values
- Workout 1: identify your personal values
- Honouring your personal values
- Feed your passions and interests
- Workout 2: capture your passions and interests
- Work with your personality
- Play to your strengths
- Workout 3: capture your strengths
- Key points from Step 1: Delving
- Step 2 Imagining
- Workout 4: letter to myself
- Workout 5: creating “idea pools”
- Workout 6: ideal organisations
- Workout 7: creating a vision board
- The story so far
- Workout 8: what have I learnt?
- Workout 9: what are my options?
- Key Points from Step 2: Imagining
- Step 3 Realising
- Workout 10: my top 3 paid work options are...
- Reality check
- Workout 11: dissecting your options
- Review and reflect
- Visualising your future
- Workout 12: create a compelling vision
- Plan! Plan! Plan!
- Action Planning
- Workout 13: my action plan
- Key points from Step 3: Realising
- Step 4 Caring
- Facing the fear of change
- Challenging limiting beliefs
- Workout 14: turning around negative beliefs
- Improving confidence
- Workout 15: Existing confidence and improvements
- Beating the blues and staying motivated
- Workout 16: access your motivation
- Make the best of your 168 hours
- Tricks that keep you in control
- Gold Time
- Workout 17: your Gold Time
- Eat that frog!
- Most important things
- Does this make the boat go faster?
- Stop procrastinating
- Workout 18: 5 steps to beat procrastination
- Mindset matters
- Overcome set-backs
- Workout 19: get to the root of the matter
- 10 tips to keep you on track:
- Move forward
- Self-care really matters
- 4 self-care strategies to keep stress levels in check
- Workout 20: self-care plan
- Key points from Step 4: Caring
- A Final Word
- Career coaching
What I love about this book is that it has its own way of putting you into the situation and you feel motivated afterwards. Great job!